Thursday, October 5, 2006

Many, many questions

"Thus I am in one person many people,
And none of them contented." - Shakespeare

There are two parts to this statement, the first part, I believe, could be said to be true of most people. Is the person that you are today going to be the same person that you are tomorrow? Does the person that I am change each time I am faced with a different situation? After careful evaluation, I have decided that the statement above, at least the first part, does apply to myself. I am, by turns, a happy person, a sad person, a sympathetic person, an angry person - I am weak, strong, defensive, accepting, understanding, stubborn - I am all of these things, but never all of them at the same time. That, I think, would be a difficult undertaking. These are all broad generalizations of personality traits, of course. I realize that it is possible to be more than one thing at a time, it would just be difficult to be everything at one time. With the quickness of the human brain - which can sometimes lead to trouble - we can evaluate a situation and decide which 'person' is required at the moment. Without this ability, a situation could quickly turn ugly. However, it leads me to a feeling of duplicity, making me think that we are only saying what others wish to hear, or reacting in the way that they think we should react.

The second part of this statement is also true of myself, I think. I am not content with the 'people' that I am. I aspire to be something better, something more true. I don't want to have to change who I am every time I turn around. I want to be able to be honest without fear of some sort of rebuke. I tire of being afraid that I am about to hurt someone's feelings because I didn't realize that I needed to be the sympathetic person instead of the stubborn one. The task I set before myself is doubly difficult because, not only must I change my natural reactions (changing 'people' at will), I must be prepared to accecpt, and perhaps to try and change, the reactions of others to my unwillingness to become a different 'person.' Not sure which of the two will turn out to be the most difficult. Perhaps the reason we change the person that we are so often is because we are searching for which of them is the truest. Trying to find which of them we are content being. Can I ever be truely content if I am never sure which person I am? What if I never find that person? Am I doomed to a life of discontent because I don't know which person to be? Are we all? Do I simply settle for being the person that is the least discontented? I wonder if I would be satisfied if I ever did find contentment. Being so used to the constant change of 'people' that I am, would I truely be comfortable with it when I found the one that is actually me?

No comments: